On October 16, Brigadier General Dror Shalom, the head of the intelligence research division at the IDF, who is ending his position, gave an interview to the Saudi news site ELAPH. A number of interesting points emerged from the interview in the context of Lebanon and Syria:
- Lebanon will witness explosions similar to the port blast.
- A future confrontation with Lebanon will become a regional confrontation.
- The Naqoura talks are the best evidence of Nasrallah’s problem and the pressure he is facing.
- Nasrallah knows full well that he will lose Lebanon if he miscalculates and opens fire on Israel.
- The Lebanese state is interested in the success of the talks, but Hezbollah, if it wants to, can destroy them.
- If Israel wanted to assassinate Hassan Nasrallah, we would have assassinated him, but Israel does not want an escalation on the border.
- Bashar al-Assad should have been killed by the international community when he used chemical weapons against his own people.
- It is time to establish a joint defense alliance in the Middle East between Israel and the Gulf countries for defense and not for attack.